TxM 024 Section 2.7 Defining the taxonomy approach Created by James on 7/1/2013 1:54:37 PM
Following are the major components of the taxonomy approach for reference:
1. The approach is focussed on facilitating executive level strategic decision support
à operational and tactical decision support at all other levels of the organization follow automatically
à keep in mind that one bad decision or consistently bad strategic information can weaken or destroy a business while consistently exceptional decisions ahead of the competition will enable a business to thrive.
2. Comprehensive capture of ALL real world attributes of ALL data elements adds a limited second order cost overhead to the project during configuration but provides huge capacity to answer obscure questions long into the future. These attributes also drive maximum intelligence in supporting software and code generation algorithms.
3. Highly structured, highly logical taxonomies that model the real world with a five to ten year executive perspective ensure practical and easy to use code schemes which reflect in the enhanced use of the ERP and other software at all levels of the organization.
4. Consistently fine granularity of code schemes that model the real world ensures that data can be grouped in all possible ways in order to answer questions that had never previously been thought of.
5. Comprehensive and rigorous conventions including indents, capitalization, trailing periods, gap coding, groups of seven plus or minus 2, etc enable sophisticated and clever software to be developed, radically improve speed of query and report development and facilitate complex analysis way beyond that which is conventionally achievable.
6. By ensuring that a consistent strategic executive view of the organization is the default view for every user of the system and every report and query throughout the organization a powerful strategy enhancement spin-off results. Strategic and competitive efficiencies result.
7. Reports and queries are orders of magnitude easier, faster and cheaper to create and more powerful so everybody uses the system and the system therefore becomes effectively self-auditing with resulting savings in audit fees as a spin-off to the major operational and strategic benefits that result.
8. Workflow, bill of material and other configuration become easier, faster and more amenable to partial automation and more precise with resultant operational efficiencies and increased output with the same head count or reduced head count for the same output.
Note that workflow (process) is an OUTPUT of the taxonomy approach and does NOT lead the project – the taxonomy approach dictates a fundamentally different project design to the conventional ERP or other business information system implementation project.
9. High levels of precision of master data configuration and maintenance become easily achievable with specialist software resulting in major operational and strategic gains.
10. Highly creative and highly cost effective strategic customization becomes easily and cost effectively achievable resulting in exceptional strategic and operational gains.
11. All of this is achieved at greatly reduced life time operating cost.
The exact mechanics of achieving these components of the approach will be managed based on the way I have been doing taxonomies and running projects for over 22 years.
The comment feature is locked by administrator.