TxM 054 Section 6.4 Further information on the use of software to develop and manage Taxonomies and Precision Configuration Created by James on 7/4/2013 12:27:40 PM
Following are headline comments on the technical approach supported by software that I think is most appropriate in developing and maintaining taxonomies:
Fundamental concept is to design and maintain precision configuration sustainably.
1. High level structure of main taxonomies including – Item Master / Material Master / Product Master, Chart of Accounts, Customer and Supplier Line of Business, Locations, Functions, Assets and Machines, People categories, etc developed manually in Excel using standard JAR methods.
2. Attributes of all the above – standard system attributes to use and NOT use and clear definition of those used and of client and industry specific attributes logically and hierarchically grouped on maintenance forms that correspond to different categories of products and services for ease of access and posting and to Item coding.
3. Custom Screen forms to capture data – rule based from attributes.
4. Grid based (Excel like) view of configuration master files with ability to hide levels of hierarchy and columns based on the attributes, drag and drop, etc to quickly and accurately configure master files all the way through to process files, routers, Bills of Materials, etc.
5. Master file maintenance – dropping default parameters down the hierarchy as done at ASCO all the way to the SKU.
6. Auto-build the Item code and other code fields from the attributes dropping down the hierarchy including provision for counters (sequence numbers).
7. Write content into target ERP data tables.
8. Documentation of coding standards and conventions in such a way that they can be printed as manuals or used in on-line help.
9. Generation of simple standard reports based on the hierarchies – rich variety of standard reports quickly and easily maintained.
10. Maintain code functionality – limit the addition of items, build the code for insertions of items, look for synonyms, etc tightly linked to role based permissions and access control with knowledge based rules to control additions.
More sophisticated reports and models in business intelligence environment based on hierarchies.
The comment feature is locked by administrator.